***85 years ago today, a category 3 hurricane struck Long Island and Southern New England.***
- Known as the Long Island Express or Great New England Hurricane of 1938.
- The storm hit Long Island and Southern Connecticut on September 21, moving at a forward speed of 47 mph!
- Landfall near Bellport, NY sometime between 2:10 and 2:40 pm EST as a Category 3 with an approx. pressure of 27.79 in (941 mb) and a 120 mph maximum sustained wind.
- Deaths: 700
- Trees Destroyed: Approx. 2 Billion
- Peak Storm Surge: 17 ft. above normal high tide (Rhode Island)
- Estimated Lowest Pressure: 27.79 in (941 mb).
- Max Recorded Wind Gust: 186 mph at Blue Hill Observatory, MA.
- Highest Sustained Wind Measurement not Influenced by Terrain: 109 mph at Fishers Island, NY.