My Personal Weatherman™
Beautiful weather now, but tropics still active with Larry now and Nicholas and Odette coming:
- The Long Island forecast is shown below, and it will be a sunny weekend! Chilly tonight with lows in the 50's!
- There is a High Surf Advisory for large breaking waves of 5 to 9 feet in the surf zone and a high risk of dangerous rip currents for the Long Island beaches through tomorrow evening.
- Hurricane Larry is headed for southeastern Newfoundland later tonight with hurricane conditions and a dangerous storm surge.
- Nicholas and Odette will be coming soon as the system emerging off the coast of Africa is being given a 70% chance of tropical development, and the system that is headed for the southwestern Gulf is being given a 60% chance. The one that will be coming off the coast of Africa isn't anything to worry about for the western Atlantic. However, the system that will be headed into the Gulf will bring a lot of tropical moisture with flooding rains for Texas and western Louisiana with rainfall amounts as high as 10 to 15 inches being a possibility (see 4th image).
- There may also be another hurricane to watch that will make it farther west in the Atlantic than the one that is coming off the Africa coastline today.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Mostly sunny and breezy/windy with low humidity with highs in the mid to possibly upper 70's. Wind out of the NW at around 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 25 or even 30 mph.
Tonight; Clear and cool with lows mostly in the mid to upper 50's, but some low 50's in the Pine Barrens area in Suffolk. Wind out of the NW at 10 to 15 mph early, decreasing to 5 to 10 mph towards midnight.
Tomorrow: Sunny with low humidity with highs in the mid 70's. Wind mostly out of the W to WNW in the morning at 5 to 10 mph and then out of the SSW to SW in the afternoon at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow night: Mostly clear with lows in the low to mid 60's. Wind out of the SSW to SW at around 10 mph.
Sunday: Mostly sunny and warmer with highs mostly in the low 80's but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the SW at around 10 mph in the morning and 15 mph in the afternoon.
Monday: Partly cloudy and more humid with a very slight chance of a shower by late afternoon or early evening with highs in the low to possibly mid 80's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind mostly out of the WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday: Partly sunny with highs in the mid to upper 70's. Wind generally out of the E at 5 to 10 mph.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Overview of the tropics from the National Hurricane Center
- 3rd image: Euro ensembles for the next 15 days
- 4th image: Projected rainfall for the next 7 days from the Weather Prediction Center
- 5th image: Official forecast map for Hurricane Larry
- 6th image: Projected temperatures for Farmingdale, Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend