Blue skies today and a brief look ahead at the storm next weekend and the Long Island forecast:
- After a cold start this morning, temperatures will be around 10 degrees warmer than yesterday on Long Island with highs mostly in the upper 40's with sunny, blue, cloudless skies. Temperatures will warm up another 10 degrees tomorrow with highs mostly in the upper 50's with a mix of sun and clouds.
- For the most part, conditions will remain moderate and mostly dry for Long Island and most of the northeast through Thursday afternoon.
- With an upper level low and a blocking pattern for late next week into next weekend, there remains uncertainty in the details, but there should be some rain at times with cooler conditions as there should be a fairly strong storm just off the mid-Atlantic coast next weekend (see 3rd image), which may also produce gusty winds for coastal areas of the mid-Atlantic, Long Island, and southern New England next Sun/Mon.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Sunny with highs around 50 degrees, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the NW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy with lows in the upper 30's in Nassau and low to mid 30's in Suffolk. Wind mostly out of the W at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy in the morning and then partly cloudy in the afternoon with highs mostly around 60 in Nassau and upper 50's in Suffolk, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the WNW to NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Monday: Mostly sunny with highs mostly in the low 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the NW at around 15 to 20 mph.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy with highs mostly in the low 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end.
Wednesday: Partly cloudy with highs mostly in the low 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end.
Thursday: Increasing clouds in the afternoon with highs around 60 degrees, but cooler for the south shore and east end.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Highs in the mid to upper 50's.
- 1st image: Projected cloud cover percentage at 2 PM today from the NAM
- 2nd image: Projected highs for today from the National Weather Service
- 3rd image: Projected storm locations and strengths at 2 AM next Sunday from the Euro ensemble members
- 4th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend
- 5th image: Projected precipitation for the next 7 days (through 8 PM Friday) from the Weather Prediction Center