Cooler than expected today, severe weather for the south, some comments, and the LI forecast:
- The warm front is not going to make it to Long Island today, so instead of highs in the low to mid 70's, we will be stuck mostly in the low 60's (see 1st image).
- In the 3rd image you can see the severe weather potential for today.
- Thursday is still the best day of the week for Long Island. The best chance of showers on Friday is probably after 7 PM, although there is still a chance of a shower before then, especially in western Long Island.
- Some showers likely return in the afternoon on Mother's Day.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Showers ending early and then mostly cloudy with some breaks of sun the afternoon with just a slight chance of a stray shower or thunderstorm by late afternoon. Highs in the mid 60's in Nassau and mostly low 60's in Suffolk, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind mostly out of the N at around 5 mph.
Tonight: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm, mostly after 10 PM, with lows in the low 50's in Nassau and upper 40's to low 50's in Suffolk. Wind out of the ESE at around 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Cloudy with showers at times and possibly a thunderstorm. Highs mostly in the mid 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the E to ENE in the morning at 5 to 10 mph and then out of the NW by late afternoon at around 10 mph.
Thursday: Mostly sunny and breezy with highs in the low to mid 60's. Wind out of the NW at 10 to 20 mph.
Friday: Increasing clouds in the afternoon with a 30% chance of showers by late afternoon. Highs around 59 to 62 degrees. There should be some showers at night.
Saturday: Becoming partly cloudy with highs in the low 60's.
Sunday: Increasing clouds in the morning with a 30% chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the low 60's.
- 1st image: Projected highs for today from the NWS
- 2nd image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 3rd image: Severe weather potential from 8 AM today to 8 AM tomorrow from the Storm Prediction Center
- 4th to 7th images: Simulated radar from the HRRR model for 9:00 tonight and then tomorrow at 3 AM, 10 AM, and 3 PM, respectively
- 8th image: Projected 24-hour precipitation from 2 PM Friday to 2 PM Saturday from the Euro ensemble mean
- 9th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend