Damaging wind gusts up to 60 mph possible, the Long Island forecast, and a potential coastal storm:
- The Wind Advisory for Long Island and the Tri-State area still goes into effect at 10 AM, but it has now been extended until 6 AM tomorrow. Wind gusts out of the W to WNW at up to 55 mph with an isolated 60 mph gust not out of the question. The highest gusts will likely be in the typically windier spots at elevation and right along the water.
- From the NWS NY: "This could lead to downed trees and tree limbs as well as scattered power outages, especially with much of the area close to full leaves on the trees."
- There will likely be a couple of waves of rain for the early to middle part of next week, and then a potential coastal storm for late next week into the first part of next weekend. The Euro, GFS, and Canadian are all showing a storm, and the Euro ensembles show the potential as well. At this point, it doesn't look like anything major, but depending on the track and strength, it may produce a period of rain and wind along the coast.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Partly cloudy and very windy with highs mostly in the upper 60's. Wind gusts up to 50 mph in the afternoon from the WNW.
Tonight: Partly cloudy to mostly cloudy with a slight chance of a passing shower. Very windy with gusts up to 55 mph from the WNW, but gradually diminishing after midnight. Lows mostly around 40 degrees.
Tomorrow: Mostly sunny and very breezy with highs in the mid 60's. Wind gusts from the NW up to 30 mph in the morning and then diminishing to 20 mph by late afternoon.
Sunday: Partly to mostly cloudy and warm with a slight chance of a stray shower in the afternoon/evening. Highs mostly in the low to mid 70's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Breezy in the afternoon with gusts up to 20 mph from the WSW.
Monday: Mostly cloudy in the morning and cloudy in the afternoon with a chance of showers by late afternoon or early evening. Highs mostly in the mid to upper 60's.
Tuesday: Chance of morning showers and then possibly partly to mostly cloudy in the afternoon. Highs in the low 70's, but cooler for the south shore and east end.
Wednesday: Cloudy with a 50% chance of rain. Highs in the mid 60's.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Maximum projected wind gusts through 2 AM tomorrow from the HRRR model
- 3rd image: Maximum projected wind gusts through 8 PM Sunday from the NWS
- 4th image: Projected storm locations and strengths at 2 AM next Saturday from the Euro ensembles
- 5th image: Projected temperatures with ranges for Long Island for the next 15 days from the Euro ensembles
- 6th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend