Derecho Heading for Chicago! Gusts of 80 to 100 MPH Possible!
**Derecho heading for Chicago this evening. Severe Thunderstorm Watch just issued. Potential for 80 to 100 mph gusts, large hail, and tornadoes!**
URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Watch Number 426
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
1125 AM CDT Mon Aug 10 2020
The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for portions of:
Far northwest Indiana
Far southern Wisconsin
* Effective this Monday morning and evening from 1125 AM until 700 PM CDT.
...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...
* Primary threats include...
- Widespread damaging winds and scattered significant gusts to 100 mph likely
- Isolated large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible
- A couple tornadoes possible
SUMMARY...A derecho will rapidly progress across eastern Iowa and northern Illinois this afternoon. Widespread severe wind gusts, some of which should reach 80-100 mph are anticipated along the track of the bow. Brief tornadoes are also possible.
The severe thunderstorm watch area is approximately along and 85 statute miles north and south of a line from 20 miles west southwest of Cedar Rapids IA to 75 miles south southeast of Racine WI.