End of the beautiful weather for now and some maps for severe weather, temperatures, and rainfall:
- It's been a great stretch of weather for Long Island and much of the northeast, but all good things must come to an end. The details for Long Island are in the forecast below.
- While the projected highs for today are shown in the 1st image, check out the projected temperatures at 4 PM from the HRRR model and how much cooler it's projected to be for coastal areas of the northeast. It will be interesting to see if this is overdone by the model.
- Unfortunately, there will be severe weather in the deep south today into tonight as shown in the 3rd image with widespread damaging wind gusts, large hail, and some tornadoes.
- I've included the rainfall maps for the northeast through 8 PM Tuesday, and you can see the rainfall amounts really drop off to almost nothing as you head into northern and northeastern New England.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Early clouds and patchy fog and then some breaks of sun before becoming cloudy in the afternoon with a slight chance of a couple of light spotty showers for the western half of Long Island in the mid to late afternoon. Highs around 60 degrees, but cooler for the south shore and east end, especially by mid-afternoon. Wind generally out of the E in the morning at 5 mph and then S in the afternoon at 10 mph.
Tonight: Cloudy with a slight chance of a spotty shower lows in the low to mid 40's. Wind out of the S at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Cloudy with a 30% chance of a few scattered showers with highs in the low 60's. Wind out of the S to SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow night: Cloudy and mild with a chance of showers developing after midnight. Lows mostly in the low 50's. Wind out of the SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday: Showers throughout the day with highs in the low 60's. There is a slight chance for a rumble of thunder. Wind mostly out of the E at around 10 mph. Rainfall totals of less than a half-inch.
Monday: Cloudy with a 50% chance of some showers. Highs in the upper 50's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the NE at 10 to 15 mph.
Tuesday: Partly to mostly cloudy with highs close to 60 degrees.
Wednesday: Partly cloudy with highs in the low 60's.
- 1st image: Projected highs for today from the National Weather Service
- 2nd image: Projected temperatures at 4 PM today from the HRRR model
- 3rd image: Severe weather potential for today into tonight from the Storm Prediction Center
- 4th and 5th images: Projected precipitation through 8 Pm Tuesday from the Euro ensemble mean and Weather Prediction Center
- 6th image: Map from the Euro for 2 PM Sunday
- 7th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend