Enjoy the sunshine and heat today! Some comments, images, and the Long Island forecast:
- While most of Long Island will get into the low to mid 80's today with blue skies, there will be a wide temperature range from around 86 in western Nassau to 71 at Montauk.
- A dry backdoor cold front will move through from east to west late this afternoon and into the evening, so it will turn much cooler from east to west. Check out the last image with the projected 6 PM temperatures from the HRRR model.
- While very little rain is expected for the next 7 days, there could be a shower on Saturday and then again Sunday evening/night with the cold front with a potential thunderstorm.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Sunny with highs mostly in the mid 80's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out NNW at 5 to 10 mph in the morning and 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon with gusts up to 20 mph. It will also turn sharply cooler late this afternoon and evening from east to west.
Tonight: Mostly clear with lows mostly in the upper 50's in Nassau and mid 50's in Suffolk. Wind mostly out of the SE at 5 to 10 mph and then ESE at less than 5 mph after midnight.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy and cooler with highs in the low to mid 70's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the ESE in the morning at 5 mph or less and then SSE in the afternoon at 5 to 10 mph.
Friday: Partly cloudy in the morning and mostly cloudy in the afternoon with highs in the low to mid 70's. Wind mostly out of the SSW at around 5 mph in the morning and 10 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of a late afternoon or evening shower with highs mostly in the mid 70's. Wind mostly out of the W at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday: Partly cloudy and warm with highs mostly in the upper 70's to near 80 degrees. There is a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening and at night.
Monday: Mostly sunny and cooler with highs in the low 70's.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy with highs in the low 70's.
- 1st image: Projected highs for today from the NWS
- 2nd image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 3rd image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend
- 4th image: Projected rainfall through 8 PM next Tuesday from the Weather Prediction Center
- 5th image: Projected temperatures at 6 PM today from the HRRR model