My Personal Weatherman™
Hazy sun and hot today, strong thunderstorms possible tomorrow, and lower humidity Thurs to Sat:
- The tropics remain quiet with no hurricanes expected until at least early August.
- It will be hot today with highs mostly in the upper 80's to around 90 degrees (cooler for the south shore and east end) on Long Island with hazy sunshine, especially in the late afternoon, from high-altitude smoke from wildfires out west and in Canada (see 2nd image for smoke forecast for 4 PM). Dew points will be mostly in the mid to upper 60's, so the humidity won't be unbearable.
- Strong thunderstorms are possible tomorrow afternoon for Long Island, with the most likely timing being between 3 PM and 5 PM, but a shower or thunderstorm is possible as early as Noon or 1 PM. Heavy downpours and gusty winds are possible in any thunderstorm.
- Once the front clears tomorrow evening, a much drier air mass will arrive, so Thursday to Saturday looks very nice with low to moderate humidity with highs mostly in the low 80's, but some mid 80's for western Nassau. There is only a slight chance of a passing shower Friday late afternoon or early evening.
- Some showers and possibly a thunderstorm will arrive on Sunday with more humid conditions.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Hazy sunshine with moderate humidity with highs mostly in the upper 80's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Very light wind in the morning from the NW and then mostly out of the SW by late afternoon at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy and humid with lows mostly in the low 70's. Light wind from the SW at around 5 mph.
Tomorrow: Mostly sunny and humid early and then showers and thunderstorms likely at times in the afternoon with the potential for heavy downpours and gusty winds. Highs mostly in the mid 80's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind mostly out of the W to WSW at around 10 mph.
Thursday: Mostly sunny and less humid with highs in the low 80's, but some mid 80's possible in western Nassau. Wind out of the NW to NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Friday: Mostly sunny with low humidity with a very slight chance of a passing shower from late afternoon to early evening with highs in the low 80's. Wind out of the NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday: Sunny with low humidity with highs mostly in the low 80's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind from the N at 5 mph in the morning and then out of the S in the afternoon at around 10 mph.
Sunday: Mostly cloudy and more humid with a 40% chance of some showers and possibly a thunderstorm with highs in the low 80's.
Monday: Partly cloudy and fairly humid with highs in the mid to possibly upper 80's.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Smoke forecast for 4 PM today from the HRRR model
- 3rd image: Severe weather potential for tomorrow into tomorrow night from the Storm Prediction Center
- 4th and 5th images: Future radar for 3 PM tomorrow from the HRRR model and 4 PM tomorrow from the NAM model, respectively
- 6th image: Projected temperatures for Farmingdale, Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend