Heat Advisory now extended until 8 PM Saturday!
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service New York NY 345 PM EDT Thu Jul 15 2021
...HEAT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT SATURDAY...
* WHAT...Heat index values up to 103 Friday and heat index values 95 to 100 expected Saturday.
* WHERE...Portions of northeast New Jersey and southeast New York.
* WHEN...Until 8 PM EDT Saturday.
* IMPACTS...Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat illnesses to occur.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The highest temperatures and heat indices are expected between 1 PM and 5 PM each afternoon.
A Heat Advisory is issued when the combination of heat and humidity is expected to make it feel like it is 95 to 99 degrees for two or more consecutive days, or 100 to 104 degrees for any length of time.
Seniors and those with chronic health problems or mental health conditions are at an increased risk. Homes without air conditioning can be much hotter than outdoor temperatures.
Use air conditioning to stay cool at home or go to a place that has air conditioning. Check on vulnerable friends, family members and neighbors.
To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency! In cases of heat stroke call 9 1 1.