Hurricane Sam, future Victor and Wanda, and the Long Island forecast with chilly nights coming:
- Hurricane Sam has weakened somewhat with maximum sustained winds of 130 mph, but it will still be a major hurricane when it comes very close to Bermuda, but it will likely pass a little to its east on Friday night into Saturday morning. There is more uncertainty then, but Newfoundland should keep a very close eye on it.
- Victor and Wanda are both likely to form this week out in the Atlantic. The one that forms from the wave that just came off the coast of Africa will head northwest early towards the middle of the Atlantic and not be a problem, and the one that forms from the wave that is farther west will likely not survive as a tropical system once it gets near the Caribbean.
- As we head towards mid-October, we will be watching the western Caribbean for tropical development, and Florida would be the most likely target.
- It will be a warm day today for Long Island, and then the cold front will bring some showers and possibly a thunderstorm tomorrow. Cooler weather then for Wednesday and into the weekend with Thursday being the coolest day with highs in the mid 60's. The nights will turn chilly with lows mostly 50 to 55 degrees from Wednesday night into the weekend.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Mostly sunny and breezy in the afternoon with highs mostly in the mid to upper 70's. Wind mostly out of the WSW to SW at 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy and breezy with lows in the low 60's. Wind out of the SW at 10 to 20 mph.
Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy with a 60% chance of some showers and then possibly a thunderstorm in the late afternoon. Highs in the mid 70's. Wind mostly out of the W at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow night: A chance of early evening showers and possibly a thunderstorm, and then clearing skies and turning cooler with lows in the mid 50's. Wind out of the N to NNW at 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny with highs in the upper 60's to near 70 degrees. Wind out of the N at around 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of a shower with highs in the mid 60's. Wind out of the NNW at 10 to 15 mph
Friday: Mostly sunny with highs in the upper 60's. Wind out of the NNW to NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday: Mostly sunny with highs in the upper 60's. Wind out of the NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday: Partly cloudy with highs in the upper 60's to around 70 degrees.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Official forecast map for Hurricane Sam from the NHC
- 3rd image: Overview of the tropics from the NHC
- 4th image: Euro ensembles for the next 10 days
- 5th image: Projected rainfall for the next 7 days from the Weather Prediction Center
- 6th to 8th images: Future radar from the HRRR model for tomorrow at 8 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM, respectively
- 9th image: Projected temperatures for Farmingdale, Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend