Long Island weather with a mild weekend ahead, but cold before then:
A shot of cold air will be moving into Long Island and the northeast today, and there will be some scattered rain showers for Long Island with snow showers to the north and west. It's possible that a wet snow shower makes it to Long Island early this evening. The main story though will be the cold and wind for the next couple of days, as shown in the forecast and maps below. By late this week and into the weekend, milder air will arrive, and no rain is expected (after today) through the weekend.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today (Tuesday): Partly to mostly cloudy at times with a 30% chance of a couple of passing showers. Becoming windy in the afternoon. Highs in the mid to upper 40's. A passing snow shower is possible early in the evening. Wind gusts over 20 mph in the afternoon and evening from the northwest.
Tonight: Mostly clear, windy, and cold with lows near 30 degrees with wind chill temperatures near 20 degrees. Northwest wind gusting 20 to 25 mph.
Tomorrow (Wednesday): Mostly sunny, windy, and cold with highs only around 40 degrees and wind chills in the 20's. Wind gusts up to 25 mph from the northwest.
Thursday: Partly cloudy with highs in the upper 40's as the wind shifts to the warmer SSW direction in the afternoon at up to 20 mph.
Friday: Mostly sunny and breezy with highs in the upper 50's.
Saturday: Mostly sunny with highs around 60 degrees and lighter winds.
Sunday: Partly cloudy with highs around 60 degrees.
- 1st image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend
- 2nd image: Simulated future radar for 4:00 this afternoon from the HRRR model
- 3rd image: Projected wind chill temperatures for 8:00 Wednesday morning from the NAM model
- 4th image: Projected snowfall for the next 10 days from the Euro
- 5th image: Projected precipitation for the next 6 days from the Weather Prediction Center