Lots of action with changeable conditions for Long Island and the northeast:
- The Long Island forecast and some maps/images are below, but there will be a wide range of conditions with some hot weather, chilly, thunderstorms, clouds, fog, sunshine, strong wind gusts, and possibly higher elevation snow. Even on Long Island, highs today can range from the low 80's in northwest Nassau to only the low 60's at Montauk. This is from the National Weather Service in NY: A tricky temp forecast today based on where warm frontal boundary stalls/dissipates, and then how quickly and how far west a sea breeze enhanced backdoor cold front pushes this afternoon. Potential for temps to rise into the mid/upper 80s across NE NJ, Lower Hud, NYC metro with deep mixing to 800mb, while temps in coastal SE CT/far E LI likely remain in the lower to mid 60s in onshore flow off upper 40/lower 50 degree waters."
- Thunderstorms north and west of Long Island late this evening into tonight may contain hail and gusty winds.
- Windy conditions develop Friday afternoon/evening behind the storm with gusts possibly up to 45 mph.
- The GFS and Euro are both showing the potential for snow in the highest elevations of the northeast late next week.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Partly to mostly cloudy with filtered sunshine through mid to upper level clouds and much warmer with highs ranging from the low 80's in northwestern Nassau to the mid to upper 70's for a good portion of Long Island, but only the mid 60's to low 70's for most of the south shore and only low to mid 60's for the east end. Wind nearly calm in the morning and then out of the WSW to SW at around 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight: Cloudy with a slight chance of a thunderstorm towards midnight and then possible fog with a slight chance of a shower. Lows ranging from the upper 50's in Nassau to the low 50's in eastern Suffolk.
Tomorrow: Cloudy with showers at times, especially in the afternoon. Highs mostly around 70 degrees in Nassau and the upper 60's in Suffolk, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the SW at around 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tomorrow night: Periods of rain, possibly heavy at times, with lows in the mid 50's in Nassau and low 50's in Suffolk. Wind mostly out of the WSW to SW at around 10 mph.
Friday: Cloudy with a chance of early morning showers, and then partly to mostly cloudy in the afternoon with just a very slight chance of a late afternoon or early evening shower. Highs in the upper 60's. Becoming very windy by late afternoon with gusts up to 40 mph from the WNW.
Saturday: Mostly sunny and breezy with highs in the low to mid 60's. Wind gusts up to 25 mph from the NW.
Sunday: Mostly sunny with highs in the mid to upper 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end.
Monday: Mostly cloudy with highs near 70 degrees.
- 1st image: Projected highs for today from the National Weather Service
- 2nd image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend
- 3rd image: Simulated radar for 9:00 tonight from the HRRR model
- 4th to 6th images: Projected precipitation through 8 PM Friday from the Weather Prediction Center, National Weather Service, and Euro, respectively