Major Hurricane Larry, the tropics, and the Long Island forecast with another beautiful day:
- Hurricane Larry is now a major hurricane, which is considered Cat 3 and above, on its way to a 140-mph Cat 4. Hopefully it will pass just east of Bermuda, but they will probably experience at least tropical storm conditions and need to keep a close eye on it.
- Invest 91L will head into the Gulf, and it has a slight chance of slowly developing into a tropical storm next week, but it doesn't look like anything major to worry about as dry air and wind shear should prevent significant intensification.
- There are still signals for a hurricane out in the Atlantic around or just after mid-month.
- Another beautiful day today for Long Island and the northeast, and the early signals are that next week looks really good.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Mostly sunny with low humidity with highs in the mid 70's. Wind out of the NNW in the morning and then shifting to SW by evening at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Increasing clouds after midnight with lows in the low 60's. Wind out of the SSW to SW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy and more humid with a 30% chance of a couple of light passing showers with highs in the mid to upper 70's. Wind out of the SW to SSW at 5 to 10 mph in the morning and 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Monday (Labor Day): Chance of early morning showers and then becoming partly to mostly sunny with highs around 80 degrees. Wind mostly out of the W at around 10 mph.
Tuesday: Mostly sunny with highs in the upper 70's to near 80 degrees. Wind mostly out of the W at 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday: Partly to mostly cloudy and humid with a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms, especially in the afternoon and evening, with highs around 80 degrees. Wind out of the SSW at 5 to 10 mph in the morning and around 15 mph in the afternoon.
Thursday: Partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70's.
Friday: Mostly sunny with highs in the mid to upper 70's.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Major Hurricane Larry
- 3rd image: Euro ensembles for the next 10 days
- 4th image: Projected temperatures for Farmingdale, Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend