Maps for the first storm, but the main focus on the Long Island snowstorm on Thursday:
Details for Long Island for today and tomorrow are in the forecast below as a Winter Weather Advisory is in effect, and all of the maps for the northeast are shown below.
Thursday continues to look like a snowstorm for Long Island with snow developing probably between 6 AM and 10 AM, and it will be a dry snow to start with temps in the mid to upper 20's. Accumulations of 4 to 6 inches are possible before changing to sleet/freezing rain and then rain in the evening. The rain will then continue into Friday morning.
Looking ahead, it will be a mostly sunny weekend with a weak clipper system possible for the northeast next Monday with some showers for Long Island and snow in northern New England.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: A slight chance of drizzle or freezing drizzle early in the morning and then remaining cloudy with a slight chance of drizzle or freezing drizzle in the afternoon with highs around 32 to 34 degrees. Wind out of the NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Cloudy with a chance of light rain or light freezing rain in the evening becoming a steadier rain after midnight, which could become heavy at times after 4 AM. Temperatures slowly rising from the low 30's in the evening to the upper 30's to low 40's by morning. Wind out of the ENE at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow: Rain, heavy at times early in the morning, tapering off to showers with patchy fog possible and ending around late morning from west to east, and then becoming partly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the low 50's in central to eastern Suffolk, close to 50 for western Suffolk, and mid to upper 40's for Nassau. Wind shifting to the west in the afternoon at 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny with highs in the low 30's. Wind out of the NW at around 10 mph.
Thursday: 80% chance of snow developing between 6 AM and 10 AM with accumulations of 4 to 6 inches before changing to sleet/freezing rain in the early evening and then rain. Highs in the low 30's. Wind out of the NE at 10 to 20 mph.
Friday: Rain, tapering off to showers in the late morning with highs in the low 40's.
Saturday: Mostly sunny and breezy with highs in the low 30's.
Sunday: Mostly sunny with highs in the mid 30's.
- 1st image: Projected snowfall from the Euro from 7 AM Thursday to 7 AM Friday
- 2nd and 3rd images: Projected snow and ice accumulations through 7 PM tomorrow from the National Weather Service
- 4th to 8th images: Maps from the NAM for 1 PM today, 7 PM today, 1 AM tomorrow, 7 AM tomorrow, and 1 PM tomorrow, respectively
- 9th to 12th images: Maps from the Euro for 1 PM Thursday, 7 PM Thursday, 1 AM Friday, and 7 AM Friday
- 13th image: Projected snowfall for Long Island for the next 15 days as a running total from every Euro ensemble member
- 14th image: Projected temperatures with ranges for Long Island for the next 15 days from the Euro ensembles
- 15th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend