Northeast storm potential early next week and the Long Island forecast:
Firstly, for Thanksgiving, it still looks like rain will linger into at least mid-afternoon on Long Island. Also, there could be a thunderstorm in the early to mid-afternoon with a heavy downpour. It will be mild though with highs in the low 60's.
As for early next week, there is still model disagreement, but the most likely scenario is rain for Long Island Monday into Tuesday morning. The Euro and some of its ensemble members are showing the potential for gusts over 50 mph when the cold front comes through. There should be a 2nd storm system for the middle to end of next week, but it's too early for details.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today (Tuesday): Mostly sunny and still a little breezy in the morning with highs in the mid to upper 40's.
Tonight: Partly cloudy with lows in the low to mid 30's, but some upper 20's are likely in the Pine Barrens of eastern to Central Suffolk.
Tomorrow (Wednesday): Mostly cloudy with highs in the mid 50's.
Thanksgiving: Cloudy, rainy, and mild with highs around 60 degrees. There is a slight chance of a thunderstorm in the early to mid-afternoon, and the rain could be moderate to heavy at times. Overall, it looks like around 1 inch of rain. The rain should taper off to scattered showers by late afternoon.
Friday: Partly cloudy with highs around 56 to 58 degrees.
Saturday: Partly to mostly cloudy at times with highs in the mid 50's.
Sunday: Partly cloudy with highs in the low 50's.
Monday: Cloudy with a 60% chance of showers. Highs in the mid to upper 50's.
- 1st image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend
- 2nd image: Wind gust matrix for Long Island for the next 15 days from the Euro ensemble members
- 3rd image: Projected snowfall for the next 10 days from the Euro
- 4th image: Projected precipitation for the next 7 days from the Weather Prediction Center
- 5th image: Projected snowfall for Long Island for the next 15 days as a running total from every Euro ensemble member
- 6th image: Maximum projected wind gusts in knots through 1 AM next Wednesday from the Euro
- 7th image: Probability of greater than 1 inch of snow for the next 15 days from the Euro ensembles