Strong wind gusts, possible thunderstorms, NY state and N.E. snow, and the Long Island forecast:
- While the potential for strong thunderstorms with potentially damaging wind gusts close to 60 mph is generally from NYC westward today into tonight, there is still a chance of thunderstorms on Long Island.
- After the cold front moves through Long Island tomorrow morning, very strong wind gusts from the WNW will develop in the afternoon and into the night with the potential for wind gusts up to 50 mph. A Wind Advisory will likely be issued later this afternoon for tomorrow into early Saturday morning.
- There will even be higher elevation snow tomorrow afternoon into tomorrow night for portions northern and western NY state and New England (see snow maps below).
- See all images below for more information.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Periods of rain at times with a slight chance of an afternoon or evening thunderstorm. Highs mostly in the low 70's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the SSW at around 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight: Periods of rain with a slight chance of a thunderstorm with lows in the mid 50's in Nassau and low 50's in Suffolk. Wind mostly out of the WSW to SW at around 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Becoming partly cloudy and very windy with just a very slight chance of a late afternoon or early evening shower. Highs mostly in the upper 60's. Wind gusts up to 45 mph from the WNW.
Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy and very windy with gusts up to 45 mph from the WNW. Lows mostly in the low 40's.
Saturday: Mostly sunny and windy with highs in the low to mid 60's. Wind gusts from the NW up to 30 mph in the morning and then diminishing to 20 mph by late afternoon.
Sunday: Partly to mostly cloudy with a slight chance of a stray shower in the afternoon. Highs mostly in the upper 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Breezy in the afternoon with gusts up to 20 mph from the WSW.
Monday: Partly to mostly cloudy and warm with highs mostly in the low 70's.
Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of some showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Highs in the low 70's.
- 1st image: Severe weather potential for today into early tomorrow morning from the Storm Prediction Center
- 2nd image: Maximum projected wind gusts through 1 AM Saturday from the HRRR model
- 3rd image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 4th and 5th images: Projected precipitation through 8 PM tomorrow from the National Weather Service and Euro ensemble mean, respectively
- 6th to 8th images: Projected snowfall through 8 AM Saturday from the Euro, GFS, and NAM, respectively
- 9th to 13th images: Simulated radar from the HRRR model for 9 AM today, 5 PM today, 11 PM today, 7 AM tomorrow, and 11 PM tomorrow, respectively
- 14th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend