The last hot and humid day (for the time being):
- It will be another hot and humid day for Long Island with highs mostly in the upper 80's (2nd image) and a heat index in the low 90's (3rd image). Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon (4th image) with potential downpours with less coverage than yesterday, and then another shower/storm chance when the backdoor cold front arrives between 8 PM and 10 PM )5th image).
- Much less humid and cooler weather then follows!
- Friday now looks better than previously expected as the rain should stay south of Long Island, and the weekend looks very nice overall with an increasing chance of a shower by late Sunday or Sunday evening/night.
- There is still nothing imminent in the tropics, but there is still a chance of a tropical system next week in the western Gulf of Mexico (6th image).
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Hazy sunshine, hot, and humid with a 40% chance of widely scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon with some brief heavy downpours possible with highs mostly in the mid to upper 80's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Light and variable wind at around 5 mph.
Tonight: Partly to mostly cloudy and humid with a 40% chance of a shower or thunderstorm before midnight. Lows in the mid to upper 60's. Light and variable wind.
Tomorrow: Mostly sunny, cooler, and less humid with highs in the upper 70's. Wind out of the E to NE at 5 to 10 mph in the morning and 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Friday: Partly to mostly cloudy and cooler with only a slight chance of a shower with highs around 70 degrees. Wind mostly out of the ENE at 10 to 15 mph.
Saturday: Partly cloudy with highs in the low to mid 70's. Wind out of the ENE to NE at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday: Partly cloudy with only a slight chance of an afternoon shower with highs in the mid 70's. Wind out of the S to SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Monday: Partly sunny with chance of showers and thunderstorms with highs in the mid to upper 70's.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Projected highs for today from the NWS
- 3rd image: Projected heat index at 1 PM from the HRRR model
- 4th and 5th images: Simulated radar for 5 PM and 10 PM
- 6th image: Projected storm tracks in the tropics for the next 10 days from the Euro ensembles
- 7th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend