The Long Island forecast and comments on Wednesday and Memorial Day weekend:
- Keep in mind that there will be a wide range of temperatures on Long Island on Wednesday with highs possibly reaching the upper 80's in northern Nassau and northwestern Suffolk, but highs only in the 70's for the south shore and east end in Suffolk. Also, there is a slight chance of a late afternoon thunderstorm from a pre-frontal trough, and then there is a pretty good chance of some overnight showers as the cold front moves through.
- While there can still be changes, there is better model agreement for the upcoming holiday weekend. It looks like a good chance of showers for Long Island from around late afternoon Friday into Saturday morning or afternoon and then possibly just partly to mostly sunny on Sunday and Memorial Day. I will continue to update though.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Mostly cloudy in the morning and partly to mostly sunny in the afternoon and much cooler with highs in the mid to upper 60's, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind out of the ESE in the morning and SSE in the afternoon at around 10 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy with lows in the mid 50's in Nassau and mostly low 50's in Suffolk, but some upper 40's are possible in the Pine Barrens area. Wind mostly out of the S at 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Partly sunny and breezy in the afternoon with highs close to 70 degrees, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Wind mostly out of the S to SSW at 10 mph in the morning and 15 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday: Partly cloudy and very warm with highs mostly in the low to mid 80's (upper 80's possible for northern Nassau and northwestern Suffolk), but much cooler for the south shore and east end with highs in the 70's, and there is a slight chance of a thunderstorm by late afternoon or early evening. Wind out of the SSW at 10 to 15 mph with gusts to 20 mph in the mid to late afternoon. Some showers are likely overnight.
Thursday: Mostly sunny with highs mostly in the low 80's. Wind out of the NW at 5 to 10 mph in the morning and 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers by late afternoon with highs in the upper 60's. Showers are likely in the evening and overnight.
Saturday: Cloudy and cool with a 60% chance of showers in the morning with highs in the mid 60's.
Sunday: Partly cloudy with highs near 70 degrees.
Memorial Day: Partly cloudy with highs in the low 70's.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend
- 3rd image: Projected temperatures with ranges for Long Island for the next 15 days from the Euro ensembles
- 4th image: Projected rainfall through 8 PM Sunday from the Weather Prediction Center
- 5th image: projected rainfall through 8 PM Monday from the Euro ensemble mean