The tropics, some comments, and the Long Island forecast:
- Claudette has regained Tropical Storm status, and it's bringing heavy rain to northeastern North Carolina right now, but it will be quickly moving out.
- The NHC has given a new tropical wave out in the Atlantic a 10% chance of tropical development, but it's nothing to worry about.
- While the GFS continues to show a hurricane affecting the United States in around 10 days, the Euro ensembles show that there isn't much to worry about right now.
- Strong thunderstorms inland in the northeast this afternoon into this evening, but they will weaken as they approach Long Island tonight.
- The rain for tomorrow on Long Island is mostly in the afternoon, and it will turn much cooler tomorrow as the temperatures may drop into the upper 60's with the rain by late afternoon.
- Wednesday and Thursday will be perfect weather with blue skies, low humidity, a light breeze, and highs mostly in the mid 70's on Long Island.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Partly sunny, humid, and breezy in the afternoon with highs mostly in the upper 70's to low 80's, but some mid to possibly upper 80's in northern Nassau and northwestern Suffolk and much cooler for the south shore and east end, especially by mid to late afternoon. Wind out of the S at 5 to 10 mph in the morning and around 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy and humid with a 40% chance of showers or possibly a thunderstorm, mostly between 7 PM and midnight. Lows in the mid to upper 60's. Wind out of the S at around 15 mph.
Tomorrow: Cloudy and humid in the morning with rain likely in the afternoon. Highs mostly in the mid to upper 70's early, but much cooler in the afternoon with temperatures possibly falling into the upper 60's by late afternoon. Wind out of the NW at 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny with low humidity with highs in the mid 70's. Wind out of the NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday: Sunny with low humidity with highs in the mid to upper 70's. Wind becoming out of the SE to SSE at 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Friday: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of a shower in the afternoon with highs in the mid to upper 70's.
Saturday: Partly sunny and more humid with a slight chance of a shower or thunderstorm. Highs around 80 degrees.
Sunday: Partly to mostly cloudy and humid with a 30% chance of a shower or thunderstorm. Highs in the low 80's.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Tropical Storm Claudette
- 3rd image: From the National Hurricane Center
- 4th image: Euro ensembles for the next 10 days
- 5th to 8th images: Simulate radar from the HRRR model for 9:00 tonight and then tomorrow at 1 AM, 11 AM, and 5 PM, respectively
- 9th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend