Update on Eta, Theta, and future Iota, as well as the Long Island forecast with 1 more nice day:
Tropical Storm Eta: Maximum sustained winds are 50 mph, and it's expected to strengthen for the next 36 to 48 hours, but it will weaken after that. While the forecast cone looks a little ominous, it won't be as bad as it looks. The forecast track is still highly uncertain as you can see in the 2nd image. If it does eventually make landfall, it will have substantially weakened.
Subtropical Storm Theta: It will transition to a fully tropical storm today, but it's not expected to become a hurricane, and it's heading eastward and not a threat to land at this time.
Future Iota?: The system in the eastern Caribbean is now being given a 60% chance of tropical development within the next 5 days. It could become a Tropical Depression on Friday or Saturday. The Euro ensembles aren't showing it as being a threat to come northward towards the United States.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today (Tuesday): Early morning fog and then becoming mostly sunny with highs in the upper 60's to low 70's.
Tomorrow (Veterans Day): Cloudy with with rain developing in the mid to late afternoon and continuing through the evening. Highs in the upper 60's.
Thursday: Cloudy with showers continuing for most of the day and ending in the late afternoon. Temperatures falling from the low 60's early in the morning to the mid to upper 50's by late afternoon. Total rainfall for Wednesday and Thursday is expected to be between 1 and 2 inches.
Friday: Mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of a few scattered showers in the morning with highs in the upper 50's.
Saturday: Mostly sunny with highs in the low to mid 50's.
Sunday: Cloudy with a 70% chance of rain. Highs in the upper 50's.
Monday: 60% chance of showers in the morning and then becoming partly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the low 60's.
- 1st image: NHC forecast map for Tropical Storm Eta
- 2nd image: 06Z track guidance for Tropical Storm Eta
- 3rd image: NHC forecast map for Subtropical Storm Theta
- 4th image: Overview map of the tropics from the NHC
- 5th image: Euro ensembles for the next 15 days
- 6th image: Projected rainfall through 7 AM Saturday from the Weather Prediction Center
- 7th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend