Update on the heat, haze, thunderstorms, drier air, tropics, and the Long Island forecast:
- It will be a hot day today with highs around 90 degrees on Long Island, but it won't be humid. There could be some more hazy skies in the late afternoon and evening from the wildfires out west. After today, there is no hot weather on the horizon for the next 10 days.
- The best chance of thunderstorms this evening into tonight are north of Long Island (see 3rd to 5th images).
- The weekend looks great overall, and Saturday looks near-perfect with sunny skies, low humidity, and a light breeze with highs mostly in the upper 70's.
- Invest 90L is located along the coast of Georgia, and it's being given a 10% chance of tropical development when it re-emerges over the water. Overall though, hurricanes are expected for the next 10 days.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Sunny and hot with low to moderate humidity in the afternoon with highs mostly around 90 degrees, but cooler for the south shore and east end. Light wind in the morning and then out of the SSW at around 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight: Partly cloudy with a 30% chance of a shower or thunderstorm, with the best chance being in eastern Suffolk. Wind out of the SSW at 10 mph in the evening and then shifting to NNW at 5 to 10 mph after midnight.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy and cooler with a slight chance of a shower or thunderstorm with highs around 80 degrees. Wind out of the N at 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a 50% chance of some scattered showers at times and possibly a thunderstorm in the evening. Highs around 80 degrees. Wind out of the SSE at 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Friday: Becoming mostly sunny and a little breezy with low to moderate humidity in the afternoon with highs in the low 80's. Wind out of the NW at 10 to 20 mph.
Saturday: Sunny with low humidity with highs mostly in the upper 70's. Wind out of the NW at 5 to 10 mph.
- 1st image: My 5 day outlook for Long Island
- 2nd image: Projected highs for today from the NWS
- 3rd image: Severe weather potential for today through tonight from the Storm Prediction Center
- 4th and 5th images: Future radar from the HRRR model for tonight at 10 PM and 2 AM, respectively
- 6th image: Projected rainfall through 2 AM Monday from the Weather Prediction Center
- 7th image: Projected temperatures for Farmingdale, Long Island for the next 10 days from the NWS model blend