Update on the northeast storm, tropics as GFS shows fantasy hurricane-blizzard, and Long Island:
For entertainment purposes, the GFS is showing a hurricane heading up the coast and running into cold air and producing a blizzard in New England on Oct 26th/27th, LOL. If you want to see the map, check out the last image.
Back to reality, we have the rain storm coming Friday night into Saturday morning for Long Island and the northeast with higher elevation snow for northwest New England. 1 to 2 inches of rain is likely on Long Island with higher amounts in New England.
The GFS ensembles continue to be much more bullish than the Euro ensembles on the potential for a hurricane to develop in the southwestern Caribbean and head northward later this month. It's definitely something to watch.
Long Island forecast:
Today: Mostly sunny with highs in the upper 60's to around 70 degrees.
Tomorrow: Mostly sunny and breezy with gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon from the SSW with highs in the low 70's.
Friday: Increasing clouds with showers developing in the afternoon and becoming a steadier rain at night with some heavy rain at times overnight with wind gusts up to 30 mph. Highs in the mid to upper 60's. 1 to 2 inches of rain likely by Saturday afternoon.
Saturday: Breezy and chilly with rain ending from around 10 AM to 2 PM from west to east with the sun then coming out in the afternoon. Highs only around 60 degrees.
Sunday: Sunny with highs in the low 60's.
Monday: Partly cloudy with highs in the mid 60's.
- 1st image: Projected precipitation through 2 AM Sunday from the Weather Prediction Center
- 2nd image: GFS ensembles for the next 15 days
- 3rd image: Projected snowfall through 2 AM Sunday from the Euro ensemble mean
- 4th to 7th images: Maps from the Euro for 8 PM Friday, 2 AM Saturday, 8 AM Saturday, and 2 PM Saturday
- 8th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend
- 9th image: Map from the GFS for 8 PM on October 26th. This is for entertainment purposes only.