Update on the tropics and Long Island weather:
Tropical Storm Paulette has 60 mph maximum sustained winds, and Bermuda has to keep a close eye on it; however, it's not a threat to the United States. It's expected to remain a tropical storm for the next 5 days.
Rene has weakened to a Tropical Depression, but it's expected to re-strengthen into a Tropical Storm today and a minimal hurricane on Friday or Saturday. It's not a threat to land though.
Invest 94L, off the coast of the Carolinas, has just a 30% chance of tropical development.
The system that will be coming off the coast of Africa today has an 80% chance of tropical development and will likely be named Sally (assuming 94L doesn't steal the name). There is now a huge spread in potential tracks with everything still on the table, including an early curve to the north.
Today: Mostly cloudy and fairly humid with a slight chance of a shower in the afternoon. Highs mostly in the upper 70's to low 80's.
Tomorrow: Cloudy and very humid with a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms at times throughout the day. Highs mostly in the low 80's. An 80% chance of showers and thunderstorms at night with rain chances lingering through the night.
Friday: Showers ending in the morning, and becoming partly cloudy in the afternoon with decreasing humidity throughout the day. Highs mostly in the low to mid 70's.
Saturday: Partly to mostly sunny with low humidity with highs mostly in the low 70's.
Sunday: Mostly cloudy and humid with a 50% chance of showers with highs mostly in the upper 70's. Heavier downpours will be possible by evening and at night with the potential for 1 to 2 inches of rain.
Monday: Showers probably ending in the morning with partial clearing in the afternoon and becoming less humid by evening. Highs mostly in the mid to upper 70's.
- 1st image: Euro ensembles for the next 15 days
- 2nd image: Overview map from the National Hurricane Center
- 3rd and 4th images: Official forecast maps from the NHC for Paulette and Rene, respectively
- 5th image (video): IR satellite video showing Paulette, Rene, the system coming off the coast of Africa, and the system behind it
- 6th image: Projected temperatures for Long Island for the next 10 days from the National Weather Service model blend
- 7th image: Projected rainfall for the next 7 days from the Weather Prediction Center