Update on the tropics, the next cold front with a tornado threat in New England, & the L.I. forecast
- Nicholas made landfall overnight as a hurricane, and very slow movement now will make flash flooding the main threat into Louisiana.
- There are better signals now for Invest 95L (potential Odette) to remain weaker with very few Euro ensemble members now showing it as a hurricane. I'll have more updates on this today into tonight.
- The system off the east coast is being given a 60% chance of tropical development, but it will stay fairly weak and mostly offshore, so it's nothing big to worry about.
- There will be another system coming off the coast of Africa later this week, and it will likely become a tropical storm or hurricane, but it will head northwest very early and not be a concern for us.
- The next cold front will be a strong one, and it will bring a tornado threat for New England, especially VT, NH, and ME (see 7th image). For Long Island, the thunderstorms wouldn't arrive until after 10 PM probably and they would be weakening (the 5th and 6th images are for 8 PM tomorrow and 2 AM Thursday).
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70's. Wind generally out of the ESE at 5 mph in the morning and 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight: Partly cloudy and humid with lows in the upper 60's. Wind out of the S at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Mostly sunny, warm, humid ad becoming windy in the afternoon with highs mostly in the low 80's. Wind out of the SSW at around 10 to 15 mph in the morning and 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon with gusts over 30 mph along the south shore.
Thursday: Mostly cloudy and humid with some showers likely with highs in the upper 70's. Wind generally out of the ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
Friday: Cloudy and humid with a chance of some showers with highs in the mid 70's. Wind out of the ENE to NE at around 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday: Partly sunny and humid with a slight chance of a shower or thunderstorm with highs around 80 degrees. Variable wind direction at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday: Partly cloudy with highs around 80 degrees.