Full update with the late-week snow map and our chances for snow near Christmas:
- Snow will be winding down soon in Suffolk, so be careful out there as it looks like temperatures are at or slightly below freezing.
- Rain and some wind for Long Island later on Thursday and into Friday afternoon, but snow for the higher elevations of NY state and New England (see 2nd image).
- With progressively colder air coming, there is a decent chance for snow around Christmas, even for Long Island (see 4th image), but we will see as it gets closer.
LONG ISLAND FORECAST:
Today: Snow ending by around 6 AM in eastern Suffolk then becoming partly sunny in the afternoon with highs in the upper 30's. Wind out of the N at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Clear and cold with lows in the low to mid 20's. Wind out of the N then NNW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow: Sunny with highs in the upper 30's to around 40 degrees. Wind out of the NNW at around 10 mph.
Tomorrow night: Clear and cold with lows in the mid 20's in Nassau and mostly low 20's in Suffolk. Wind out of the NW at 10 to 15 mph.
Wednesday: Sunny and breezy with highs in the upper 30's. Wind out of the NNW at 10 to 20 mph with gusts over 25 mph.
Thursday: Rain developing later in the afternoon with highs in the mid 40's. Wind out of the NE then ENE at 10 to 20 mph.
Friday: Rainy and breezy with highs near 50 degrees. Wind out of the ENE at 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Saturday: Partly cloudy and breezy with highs in the low to mid 40's. Wind out of the W at 10 to 20 mph.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, breezy, and cold with highs in the mid 30's. Wind out of the W at 10 to 20 mph.
- 1st image: My 5 day forecast for Long Island
- 2nd and 3rd images: Snow and precipitation maps for the late-week storm from the NWS Model Blend
- 4th image: Projected 24-hour snowfall for Long Island for the next 15 days from every Euro ensemble member
- 5th to 7th images: Projected temperatures for Long Island